amymarie

the reader of books

I love England, France, Vogue, espionage, nachos, WWI, the Mitfords & naps.

The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris
David McCullough

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald - Therese Anne Fowler Enjoyable though I have some doubts about the veracity. Zelda comes off as an extremely intelligent good time gal whose biggest problem was living in an era when women were expected to prioritize their husband/families needs and interests over their own. I've read other accounts of Zelda that weren't as kind, but she was a likable protagonist in this book. This book did however confirm my belief that Hemingway was an overrated sham and a complete jerk. While the incident that created discord between Zelda and Hemingway may have been created for the purposes of this book, it wasn't hard to believe that such a scenario could take place.

Lastly, her relationship with Scott - oh law. What a hot boiling mess - he was so annoying throughout the book with his crazy, profligate spending and constant need for validation. Zelda was the love of his life, but he never seemed to see her for who she really was; rather he was constantly trying to stuff her into a role (flapper, muse, supportive wife, etc) for which she was ill-suited. His character possesses none of the self-awareness he displays in his own novels and one wonders why this Zelda falls for him.