amymarie

the reader of books

I love England, France, Vogue, espionage, nachos, WWI, the Mitfords & naps.

The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris
David McCullough

The House on the Cliff

The House on the Cliff - D.E. Stevenson Elfrida is an actress in London and she is really sad because 1) her mother/best friend died and now she is alone in the world, and 2) she is madly in love with the charismatic lead actor and it's depressingly one-sided. Elfrida's terrible life changes when she inherits the majestic Mountain Cross in Devonshire from her estranged grandmother. Despite objections, Elfrida moves into Mountain Cross because her mother loved it so much. She is still poor because her grandfather was bad at Business (one of those complicated man things not explained to Elfrida) but now at least she lives in a mansion.

Elfrida undertakes some light farming, explores the bay and cliffs, befriends local toff Lucius Babbington and his sister Mary, and is fed delicious meals of broiled chops, bread and butter puddings, and baked apples with fresh cream, and maybe falls in love (spoiler: she does). Oh, and adopts a child. Totally normal and instead of people being like, wut., they are all, "OF COURSE you are informally and probably illegally adopting this child whose father is still living and currently starring in the Hollywood blockbuster The Sheik's Dilemma! Also you're twenty-one!" But Elfrida is happy and becomes the person she was born to be: a tweed-and-pearl-wearing mansion-owner in Devonshire.

Most of the drama comes in the form of an evil Canadian cousin and -- I am dead serious -- a stamp collection. That is how wholesome this book is. Yet despite the fact that I am basically Darth Vader to Elfrida's Malibu Barbie, I didn't hate it. It was all sweetness and light and sometimes that's okay.